As internet phenomenons go, Authonomy is one of the fun ones. Set up by Harper Collins as an electronic slushpile, it lets authors display their unpublished books to the world while allowing readers (both pro and 4-the-luv) to comment on the work and vote for their favourites. And as an extra bonus, the five most popular books get sent to HC's editors desks every month...
Alchemy member Debbie Bennett currently has five books up on Authonomy (click on the links to read them and helpful comments welcome!)
1) Hamelin's Child was long-listed (top 25) for the Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger Award. Gritty and graphic adult stuff, this is not for the faint-hearted. The novel made the Editor's Desk on authonomy in 2008 and received a fantastic HC critique. It's a complete novel and is looking for a permanent home.
2) The Blue Flamingo is another thriller. This has more of a horror edge, but is less graphically-adult than Hamelin's' Child. It's still a work-in-progress and Debbie feels it's still a little rough around the edges.
3) Edge of Dreams is a young adult contemporary fantasy which has also won prizes. This novel is also complete and would love to be on a bookshop shelf somewhere.
4) Flashpoint is another completed YA fantasy novel, which continues the adventures of the characters first met in Edge of Dreams.
5) Blood Ties is an attempt at traditional fantasy (but no elves or dragons!). Debbie was working on this with an editor at Orion many years ago, before real life got in the way. This is still a work-in-progress.